Oven-Fried Chicken and Waffles
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups Flourish Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water (or buttermilk)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, divided, plus 1 tsp
- 1 tsp chili powder, divided, plus 1 tsp
- 1 tsp garlic powder, divided, plus 1 tsp
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided, plus 1 tsp
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper *optional
- 1 cup Flourish Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg + ¼ cup buttermilk
- Cooking Oil Spray
Hot Sauce Maple Syrup
- ½ cup maple syrup, warmed
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
Marinate the Chicken
1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken thighs, buttermilk, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder. Mix until the chicken is well coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
Make the Waffles
2. Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C).
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the Flourish, cinnamon, and water until smooth.
4. Ladle the batter into the waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.
5. Preheat your oven to 435 F. Line a sheet pan with foil and set aside.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together Flourish, cornstarch, the remaining 1 tsp of smoked paprika, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic Powder, and 1 tsp black pepper.
7. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk until smooth.
8. Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator. Toss the tenders in the flour mixture until fully coated. Coat in the egg mixture, then again in the flour mixture.
9. Spray sheet pan with vegetable oil cooking spray, and place the coated chicken on the sheet pan.
10. Spray the tops of the chicken strips with the oil cooking spray just before placing the pan in the oven.
11. Turn the chicken strips after 10 minutes in the oven. Spray with a small amount of additional vegetable oil cooking spray when you turn them, if needed.
12. Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until both sides are crispy and the chicken tenders are cooked through.
Spicy Maple Syrup
13. While the chicken cooks, whisk the maple syrup and hot sauce together in a small bowl and set aside.
14. Place one or two pieces of chicken on top of a waffle and pour spicy maple syrup over the top of both.