"They See Me Rolling" Protein Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough:
1 cup almond milk, lukewarm
1/3 cup coconut cream, melted
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 package active dry yeast
4 cups Buttermilk Flourish Protein Pancake Mix
1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
3 tbsp coconut cream
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
For the icing:
1/2 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup powdered erythritol (we used Swerve)
1 tsp vanilla extract
These Protein Cinnamon Rolls are a healthy alternative to your favourite morning pastry, but taste just as good if not better. We’re using our Buttermilk Flourish Protein Pancake Mix here to give us the classic cinnamon roll taste our heart desires.
These are sure to satisfy your cravings and make the perfect treat for the entire family to enjoy. We hope you have fun making these and sharing them with friends and family to enjoy.
- Generously butter two disposable foil pie/cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lukewarm almond milk, coconut cream, and coconut sugar. The mixture should be just warm, registering between 100-110˚F. If it is hotter, allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the warm mixture and let set for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of Buttermilk Flourish Protein Pancake Mix to the milk mixture and mix with a spatula until just combined.
- Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 355˚F/180˚C.
- After 1 hour, the dough should have nearly doubled in size. Remove the towel and add an additional 1 cup of Flourish Pancake Mix and salt. Stir well, then turn out onto a well-floured(can use Flourish Mix or flour of choice) surface.
- Knead the dough lightly, adding additional flour as necessary, until the dough just loses its stickiness and does not stick to the surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle, about ½-inch thick.
- Spread the coconut cream evenly over the dough.
- Sprinkle evenly with coconut sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Press the mixture into the cream.
- Roll up the dough, forming a log, and pinch the seam closed. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Cut the log in half, then divide each half into 7 evenly sized pieces (about 1½ inches thick each).
- Place cinnamon rolls in each cake pan, one in the center, six around the sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake the cinnamon rolls in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, coconut cream, vanilla,
- Remove the cinnamon buns from the oven. While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.