Oven Fried Chicken & Waffles with Tabasco
Oven Fried Chicken & Waffles
Prep Time 15 minutes
Chill Time 2 hours
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 2 hours 35 minutes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp Tabasco® Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, large
- 1½ cups Flourish Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups Flourish Buttermilk Protein Pancake Mix
- 1 ¾ cups of buttermilk (or water)
Chipotle Maple Sauce
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Tabasco® Chipotle Pepper Sauce
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
For the Fried Chicken:
- In a shallow dish, or freezer bag, mix together olive oil, honey, lime juice, Tabasco® Chipotle Pepper Sauce, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Add chicken and toss evenly to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. While the oven is preheating, place a dark, rimmed roasting or baking pan in the oven to heat up.
- Whisk the buttermilk and egg together in a medium bowl. In a shallow bowl stir flour and cornstarch together. One piece at a time, dip chicken in the Flourish mixture then dredge in the milk mixture. Dredge in the flour mix once more, making sure the chicken is evenly covered, shaking off any excess.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven, using oven gloves. Grease the pan with olive oil, then place the chicken pieces on top without overcrowding the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are).
For the buttermilk waffles:
- While the chicken cooks, begin to make the waffles. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the Flourish and buttermilk, until just combined.
- Spray waffle iron with vegetable oil cooking spray then spoon the mix into the waffle maker until the surface is completely covered and cook until golden brown according to waffle maker instructions. Repeat with remaining waffle batter.
For the chipotle maple syrup:
- While the waffles cook, whisk the maple syrup, Tabasco® Chipotle Pepper Sauce, soy sauce, and dijon mustard together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place one or two pieces of chicken on top of the waffles and pour spicy maple syrup over the top of both.